Saturday, July 23, 2011

Takoyaki mania!

A happy Happy Hour on the terrace (OK, it's a coralled sidewalk) in the dappled sun with coworkers at Nijo reminded me of takoyaki. Because we had some. Because I love takoyaki.

We had octopus takoyaki with scallion, really, really good. Fluffy and hot. Not too much sauce. Accompanied by $4 Lychee Martinis. Very fresh, matched the nice weather and soft afternoon breezes and bonhomie.

One of the things I really like about the Nijo menu is that it is full of vegetarian dishes alongside the seafood, so we can bring our whole design team, some of whom are from India.

If you don't know what takoyaki is (An Osaka specialty, along with okonomiyaki which I also LOVE) or need a new song to get stuck in your head, I have helpfully provided this video.

I have never made takoyaki myself, but I have the maker (no, not the one in the video, alas) somewhere. It's cast-iron and has little octopi in bas-relief in each little cup so the balls get a little tattoo. Maybe it's time to dust it off and dive into fullscale takoyaki production.

No comments:

Post a Comment